Recently both Megan from A Geeky Gal and Luna from the GamersUnitedGG Blog nominated me for the Sunshine Blog Award, a recognition for bloggers that inspire positivity, joy, warmth and any other emotions that you feel when you think about the sun. I have to admit, there aren’t many people who’d consider me a sunny personality but I’ll take it. The rules state I have to nominate more people, but I’m fairly sure anyone I nominate will already have been nominated by those who nominated me or are the one who nominated them in the first place.
In other words I’m cheating. But I will answer the questions sent to me by these lovely bloggers as per the rules, because it’s been a while since people have asked me questions like these. I like to think of myself as something of an open book, not many secrets, only deep dark ones that I will take to the grave and beyond–because I always consider Lichdom a possibility–with me.
Without further ado, let’s get to it.
- Why did you start blogging? I used to write long Facebook notes, usually end of the year thing, kinda like a memoir. I wanted to do more, and at the time I was in the middle of planning a Star Wars Tabletop RPG game in an alternate timeline I created where the Jedi survive Order 66, the Empire is never formed, and the Jedi become an authoritarian government. It would have familiar characters in different roles, such as Luke & Leia as Jedi in training, but bullied and despised by those around them because of their parentage. As part of the campaign, I took to writing several character Journals that took care of the setting exposition, and Facebook wasn’t cutting it anymore, so after bouncing ideas with friends one of them recommended WordPress and so I made the jump here.
- What is your favourite party game? Always been a big fan of Mario Kart or Smash Bros on the videogame side. On the board game side the list is much much longer, but Elder Sign and Munchkin have a special place in my heart. Actual party games like Mario Party, I thoroughly hate them.
- If you were in the Winter Olympics, what would you be your sport? Bobsled. I’ve always been a fan of the comedy film Cool Runnings, so I have pictured myself once or twice in that position.
- If you were in the Summer Olympics, what would be your sport? Swimming. I don’t have the physical ability for competitive swimming, but I do enjoy swimming…a lot.
- Who’s your favourite Villain? I love a good villain, and over the years I’ve liked many of them but I always go back a classic, and that’s Dracula. Not the Castlevania one and not any of the movie or game adaptations or even the historical figure of Vlad Dracula, but the vampire Bram Stoker put in his novel. It’s my favourite novel and I adore the Count as a villain because he’s thoroughly evil. He’s a monster, out to satiate his hunger and thirst. No redeeming qualities, no humanity. I’ve always found that refreshing about him. I think there are too many villains in literature, gaming, film, Tv, and so one with redeeming qualities, relatable and human. Sometimes you just need a monster. It’s also why I love Frollo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame, he’s another completely inhuman character, a monster in human skin.
- Zombies, Aliens or Mutants? Why choose? Alien Mutant Zombie!
- In a horde mode, who or what are you fighting? Alien Mutant Zombies of course!
- Describe your perfect day. Don’t really have one. Not trying to sound depressive, but I just don’t have an idea of a perfect day.
- What is your favorite video game genre to play? Adventure. Action adventures, point & click adventures, horror adventures. Love’em all. Exploration and Puzzling are my thing, and if they somehow have a bit of RPG in there for side-questing, I’m overjoyed.
- If you could have a career in video games, what would you want to do? I once thought to be a developer, coding a game, but as the years have gone by and I’ve found myself enjoying writing more than coding, and especially after I began reviewing games, I think game design, including scenario writing, would be my way to go. I love stories, and I love puzzles.
- What is the best advice someone has ever given you? Don’t take things too seriously.
- Which fantasy world would you like to visit the most? Hyrule. I’ve always held a deep fascination for Hyrule. Though as I continue to work on my D&D campaign setting, Telia, I kinda want to visit it too.
- What is the best thing that the internet has ever created? I think the real question is what’s the most terrifying thing the internet has ever created. But I think it’s independent content creators. YouTubers, Twitch Streamers, Independent Publishing through Amazon and such, among others. The internet has made it possible for us to perhaps make a living out of things we’re passionate about and do so much more easily than through traditional means.
- What superpower would ruin the world? All of them, really, we’re humans after all, we can take any advantage and turn it into something nightmarish, but I put Technopathy ahead of the rest. The ability to control technology could be world breaking.
- What lessons have you learned from video games? It’s not over until Game Over. If you can try again, do so. Always combine your inventory items, there may be a solution there. Flowers give you superpowers.
- What makes you nostalgic? Almost everything triggers a memory for me. I do often get nostalgic for bad memories, wondering what could have been if different decisions had been made. Inevitably I accept that some trainwrecks belong in the past. But I do enjoy when I remember good things and good times, especially if they involve my late father. Just recently I bought the Farscape collection, not just because I love the series and am dying to watch it again, but because it has hundreds of memories about my dad tied to it, if only of the times I kicked him off the living room TV because it was time for my weekly episode. He wasn’t happy, but he moved his ass anyway!
- What book/movie/video game character do you secretly admire? Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Pirate. Persevering in adversity is his true claim to fame. He’s also a complete geek and nerd and managed to get the girl, something I have thoroughly failed at in my life. So gotta admire him.
- What is your actual superpower? I can laugh at myself, I don’t take myself or others too seriously. It helps me see the good in the bad and offsets my boundless cynicism.
- What weapon would you carry during the Zombie Apocalypse?
- What was the last thing you googled? Horde Mode, see above.
Anyone got more fun questions? Drop them in the comments!